Monday, November 24, 2014

And Now For Something Completely Different - Coloring Page for Screen Door

So... saying my wife and I are regulars at Screen Door is about as understated as you could put it.
We love the place, and eat there probably more often than we eat out everywhere else we go, put together. It's got a long wait most of the time, but the food's great, and the service was always nice, even before we got recognized as regulars.

It was still a bit of a surprise when we came in one time and we got approached about how dated their old kids' coloring page (of a kinda' freaky chicken with a waffle pattern on its body) was, and did we have any ideas about a new one?

Being already involved in illustration and setting up a story, this sounded like a lot of fun, and a good excuse to stretch my ability to change up my style, so of course I said sure.

With some help, I put together a much more "Portland" design. I enjoyed doing a lot of weird things with this, and intentionally left a few bits variously off or open-ended, because, well, confession time:

I still have pretty strong memories of, when I was a wee tyke, anally correcting coloring pages when things were off or otherwise incomplete, because I wanted them to be right or because I felt like adding details.

So... there. I said it. I was a weird little kid. And, I wanted to make something for all the little weird kids of the new generation (who happen to be at Screen Door), who could try to figure out where the back pedal should go, or make sense of the waffle with no feet, or fill in the unmanned ship without being able to block any lines. Here's to you, weirdos.

No comments:

Post a Comment