Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Vanguard - Erebus's Kyimtaro Death Guard

It took me a while to come up with the right words for it, but I believe "bleak horror" sums up Erebus's Veil Fall setting, and what drew me to their aesthetic.

There's a kind of sombre sensibility to all their illustrations that I really took to, so, despite being given a bunch of leeway in painting their Death Guard, I stuck very close to their concept art.

The dark tone feels grounded in a way that magic or roaring barbarians (or orcs) don't generally capture, so, in a departure from any contrasting hues of source lighting, I went with a palate where everything was influenced by a blue-grey moonlight, or possibly pervading gloom, that I added to everything short of the most extreme highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment