Thursday, July 25, 2019

Flame and Shadow - Pious Vorne and Ur-ghuls

Pious Vorne is one of my favorite recent models.

I think she's a great design, and represents many of the better things GW has been doing recently, including a good sculpt, crisp detail, imperials that are pretty unique and recall but don't 1:1 reproduce older concepts, and is a female character neither defined by heels nor the tradition of "boob armor." The design was enough that I wanted to make a force she could be a part of: Some allied Sisters or stand-in Inquisition or zealot count-as veteran imperial guard, or maybe a Cawdor gang (and I haven't even played Necromunda since the 90s... which makes me painfully aware of my age). I probably won't because I have too many projects, but it's infrequent that a model makes me want to. An easy 10/10 sculpt.

I was also quite happy with my paint job: I think I managed to respond to the stock scheme while making it very specifically my style.

I think the Ur-ghuls are decent sculpts, and it took just some light bending and cutting to get them into four poses instead of two. Rather than going the albino/pale cave dwelling route, I tried to make them look barely lit, playing up their lurking out of the explorers' lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment