Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Plants and the Animals Eat Each Other - Kingdom Death Lonely Tree and Slenderman

So, the Lonely Tree marks the very last Kingdom Death "monster" I had left to paint, before completing the first wave of expansions, and is one of the trickiest things to paint, since it's a modular kit.

The six fruit markers are designed to fit on any branch that can hold them, and look reasonably right as source-lit, so my client won't need to spend all day remembering where each token sits. Mercifully, this is a continuation of his monochrome theme, so I didn't need to go through further mental gymnastics of matching more color variation.

Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to do my own tree: probably I'll just tone down the source lighting a lot, since the amount of time it would take to do full OSL with that many variables would probably make me a little nuts. Maybe I'll figure out a way to cheat.

The Slenderman got a matching palate. Rather than going the way I've done before, with pretty much just painting him in shadow, I decided that it would be interesting to link him to the plant theme above, and give him a similar purple glow. This started with just his head, but I decided, then, that a little more internal glow would make the piece more cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment