Friday, December 28, 2018

Gloom and Doom - Kingdom Death Desaturated Models: Hand, Ranger, Rogue

So, I feel like my Kingdom Death painting is mostly recognizable for my play with light. Here are a few I've been painting that show off the bleak side of the setting, and these paint jobs are more than a little influenced by Dark Souls (including my own practice with its board game adaptation).



The Hand was originally going to be completely monochrome, but I decided that adding just a little color to its greys and bringing out the banding with browner fur broke up the texture and color a bit more. I really like the opportunity to do make those really sharp whites pop.

Rather than the bright colors on the Ranger's illustration, I almost completely did away with color, except for a few bits of red, and a little green to make the base pop a bit. I've always liked this model a lot, and was glad one of my clients wanted me to paint one; while I changed the tone, I feel like I captured the windswept atmosphere pretty nicely.

I already painted another Great Game Hunter Rogue in a style more like my typical one, and, when another client asked me to do a repeat of this guy with free reign to play around, I decided to try one in a similarly dark environment, but without a light source. Again, brown is the main accent color, but, with so much brown, I decided to try to vary the richness and tone a lot more on this guy. I think it works well with his world-weary look.

No comments:

Post a Comment