Thursday, January 31, 2019

Definitely Human. Definitely. - Genestealer Cult Magus and Acolytes

The Genestealer Cult Magus is one of my favorite updates on a 40k model in quite a long time.


I mostly stuck with the stock color scheme, but just tried to make it a bit richer, and with my own twist on it, and really pushing his magic glow, since he's one of the army centerpieces. I feel like my only conceptual departure was to make him a bit gaudier, to fit his status as an evil space wizard alien cult leader. While I left the functional filter/backpack thing that he shares with his ex-miner goons, I thought he really should stand out as opulent, not some worker's leader. If there's any intentional ambiguity about the underclass revolution implied in the Cult, I'm not interested in that: my version is a cartoon-caliber baddie.

I also updated my Overkill variant Acolyte Hybrids. I decided that I really didn't think they needed the larger bases, and I did a bit of work getting some highlights on their parts in shadow: my first experiments with this style of source lighting I think let the gloomy side get a little too dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment