Friday, August 1, 2014

It's the Greatest Showtime! - Collodi crew

So, I wasn't really expecting it when I started, because Burlamacco was more silly than creepy, and Collodi was never my favorite Wyrd sculpt, but I think he's turned out to be one of the most sinister minis I've painted.

I'm not sure quite what it is, but I think the clean colors and then cold blacks and metals helped make him a stark sort of horror instead of the grimy sort I'm used to.



For those of you who don't know, Burlamacco is this cheery fellow, who's the mascot of Viareggio, which happens to be where my client's roots are (which, BTW, is a very cool concept that I can take no credit for). Collodi is getting the full treatment, while the rest of the crew is getting references to the scheme.

The Weaver Widow saw a simple single diamond on her dress back, referencing, of course, the "widow" part of her name. (For some reason, the red was uncooperative with the camera- it's the same as the others.)

The Coryphee repeated Collodi's diamond sleeves, which, I think, made it much less generic and unified it with the crew.

Vasilisa, not having a metal model, was represented by Tale of War's Lissette, Puppet Angel. The collar nicely fit in with Burlamacco's. I repeated his makeup on her and the jack-in-the-box, though didn't want to replicate the scheme too closely, since she's his assistant, not female double.

No comments:

Post a Comment