Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Running the Gauntlet - Death Guard Caestus Assault Ram

Get it? It's a pun... whatever, just forget it. I'm just so unappreciated.

It's pretty rare that I go out of my way to do anything special with photos other than angles and whatnot, but the Caestus is just too fun not to whip up something in photoshop.

The Caestus is my favorite vehicle Games Workshop vehicle, and one of my favorite sci fi vehicles ever. Unlike most GW flyers, it doesn't look like a toy, but like a heavyweight utilitarian flying tank that's designed for exactly what it does- namely, blasting forward and into/through defenses. It feels like it would be at home in the heaviest of firefights or the darkest of Xenomorph hunts.

Also, my client (whose jobs have shown up here a lot in recent months) has been nothing but great, which is something I also don't often go out of my way to state (despite having a lot of great clients), but I bring it up because the relationship's history, in combination with my love of this vehicle, was what got me through the arduous process of putting this model together: Even with heating and all the tricks I knew, there were often 1/8"+ gaps that I needed to variously muscle into shape and patch with greenstuff or other techniques I knew.

But, it was completely worth it, because this thing was a blast to paint, and I think it turned out great.

While I was originally considering doing the Death Guard logo instead, in the spirit of the utilitarian Legion and vehicle, I felt that simple numerals would do the trick better than a giant skull in a halo thing. Similarly, I had thought I'd do this with an airbrush, but felt that lots of glazes would get the properly worn texture appropriate for such a vehicle. This is definitely one I'd eventually like to get ahold of and paint for my own collection, down the line. A fun end to an enjoyable set of commissions.



No comments:

Post a Comment